[ietf83-tech] IETF83Network Page

Brandon Height bheight at verilan.com
Sat Mar 24 04:33:47 PDT 2012

[[PageOutline]]

= IETF 83 Network Information - Paris, France =

== Terminal Room ==

The Terminal Room is located Hall Maillot (Near Registration) on the 2nd
Level and is open 24 hours a day beginning Sunday, March 25th. A help desk
is being provided, hours are listed below.  The room itself consists of
approximately 80 seats providing some wired access and 110v North American
power ports. There is also a duplex color printer available. Please note
that this terminal room has, in fact, no terminals, PCs or other
user-accessible machines. It is simply a place to get power, wired Internet
access, help desk support, or print documents.

When using the Ethernet connections in the Terminal Room, IPv4 addressing
is provided via DHCP. Please use Dynamic Auto-configuration for IPv6. To
cut down on the mess, ethernet cables have not been installed to every seat
in the Terminal Room. If you need a cable, please ask at the Help Desk.

=== Help Desk ===
A help desk is being provided and will be manned the following hours:

|| Sunday || 16:00 to 19:00 ||
|| Monday ||  8:00 to 20:00 ||
|| Tuesday ||  8:00 to 20:00 ||
|| Wednesday ||  8:00 to 20:00 ||
|| Thursday ||  8:00 to 20:00 ||
|| Friday ||  8:00 to 16:00 ||

== NOC and Ticketing ==

There are several ways to communicate with the NOC staff.
1. Submit a new trouble ticket via the [
http://noc.meeting.ietf.org/newticket "trac web"] interface. Filling in the
following fields: "My MAC Address", "My Current Location", and "My OS" may
expedite ticket processing. If you have an existing account on
http://tools.ietf.org you can use your established credentials (email
address and tools password) to [http://noc.meeting.ietf.org/login "log in"].
2. Send an email to '''`tickets at meeting.ietf.org`''' with as much detail
regarding your issue and configuration as possible.
3. If you're on site and need direct network assistance (i.e - you have no
network) please go to the helpdesk, which is located in the Terminal Room
on the second level near registration.
4. Use the Jabber room at noc @ jabber.ietf.org to report issues or
communicate with the NOC.

You can also use trac to review outstanding tickets before reporting an
issue or to update outstanding tickets.

== Network Basics ==

=== External Connectivity ===

The IETF 83 network connects to the Internet via two 1Gb/s links, provided
by Orange. The entire event is addressed out of the 130.129.0.0/16 block
for IPv4 and 2001:df8::/32 for IPv6. IPv6 is native and is supported. We
are supplying bandwidth for the meeting spaces at the Conference Center and
in-room wireless connections at the Hotel Concorde - La Fayette.

== Meeting Room Wireless ==

An 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless network is being provided liberally throughout
the venue.  802.11n is only available on the 5Ghz frequencies.

To use the meeting room wireless network, associate with the beaconed SSID
of "ietf" for 802.11a/b/g/n and "ietf-a" for 802.11a/n.  IPv4 addressing is
provided via DHCP.  IPv6 clients should use Dynamic Auto-configuration, and
may use DHCPv6 to retrieve name server information.

For those interested in more link-layer security, WPA SSIDs with 802.1X is
available.  The SSIDs are "ietf.1x" and "ietf-a.1x". Do not use WPA-PSK as
that will not work.  Also, using TLS as an eap method is not advisable,
please prefer TTLS.

To use 802.1X:
1. Associate to SSID: ietf.1x OR ietf-a.1x
2. Use PEAP/MSCHAPv2
3. Do Not Verify Server Cert and we won't verify yours :)
4. Username (case sensitive): ietf
5. Password (case sensitive): ietf

If you have an eduroam account, we support authenticating via eduroam.
Simply select the "eduroam" SSID.  Use your eduroam credentials.

The proper operation of the wireless network requires the assistance of all
users.  One of the most significant issues with wireless performance in
past IETF meetings has been wireless clients automatically, or accidentally
initiating "ad-hoc" networks that act as the official IETF wireless
network, causing other users to associate with false IETF wireless
networks.  Therefore, please disable your client's ability to create an
ad-hoc network and as well as the ability to automatically join an ad-hoc
network.

=== Experimental Networks ===

There are two experimental SSIDs.  "ietf-v6ONLY" is there to demonstrate
the current state of an IPv6 only Internet.  Do not expect any services to
be available via IPv4 on this SSID.  There is also an SSID called
"ietf-nat64" which is a demonstration of nat64 services. This network has a
specific DNS server for use with the demonstration located at node
2001:df8:0:7::1.

|| SSID || Access Credentials || Purpose ||
|| ietf-v6ONLY || None || A IPv6-only network for investigating IPv6 in the
absence of IPv4 ||
|| ietf-nat64 || None || A demonstration of NAT64 ||
|| eduroam || Your eduroam credentials || An instance of the eduroam
project. See [http://www.eduroam.org eduroam website] ||

== Guest Room Access ==

The IETF Network is being extended to the guest rooms in the Concorde Hotel
- La Fayette. Guest room network access is available via wireless only.
Both IPv4 and IPv6 are deployed.

== Printing ==

There is a printer in the Terminal Room and is available to all IETF users.
The printer is a HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus, is Postscript capable and has
the duplex option installed. The printer is accessible via LPD, Bonjour,
standard TCP/IP on port 9100.  The hostname for it is
terminalroom-printer.meeting.ietf.org.

|| Name || Model || Capabilities || IPv4 Address|| IPv6 Address|| Notes ||
Drivers||
||terminalroom-printer.meeting.ietf.org || HP 9600 || Color Laser
w/Duplexer || 130.129.48.16 || 2001:df8:0:48:7aac:c0ff:fe90:b5c6 || Bonjour
name: /// IETF Terminal Room (HP CP2025dn) /// || ///

=== Instructions for Mac OS X using Bonjour auto-setup (DNS-Based Service
Discovery) ===
 1. Open System Preferences -> Print & Fax -> "+" below printer list
 2. Choose "Default" in the top-menu.
 3. You should see the printers discovered by Bonjour. Pick the right one.
 4. Enjoy hassle-free printing.

=== Instructions for Mac OS X using manual configuration ===
 1. Open System Preferences -> Print & Fax -> "+" below printer list
 2. Select the "IP" icon at the top of window
 3. Select the "HP Jetdirect - Socket" from the drop down
 4. Enter "terminalroom-printer.meeting.ietf.org" in the Address field.
Leave the Queue field blank.
 5. ''Print Using'' should autopopulate with "HP Color !LaserJet CP2025"
driver. If not, select it.
 6. Click Add

=== Instructions for Windows using Windows printing system (in Vista
layout)   ===
 1. If you haven't printed on selected printer before, download and install
the driver (do not use any of "wizzard" or "automated" packages).
 2. Start -> Settings -> Printers & Faxes -> Add Printer -> Add Networked
printer (and click Next) - some waiting time
 3a. If you are hooked to wired network in terminal room, you are able to
add all printers and you are done
 3b. If you aren't hooked to wired network in terminal room, click STOP in
searching printers
 4. Click "desired printer isn't in the list"
 5. "Add printer using TCP/IP address ..."
 6. Select "Type" as "TCP/IP device" and IP adrress of desired printer
 7. Select printer driver (you may need to choose it from package you
installed in step 1) - Do NOT click "Windows Update"
 8. Click next (two or three times - depends on your windows version and
drivers installed) and wait till the printer is added

=== Instructions for Windows using HP printing framework ===
 1. Download HP Universal Print Driver for Windows !PostScript from /// [
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=3690653&taskId=135&cc=us&lang=en&prodSeriesId=3690646&prodTypeId=18972HP
Support] ///
 2. Select "Dynamic installation" and wait till all drivers are copied
(takes about 5-10 minutes)
 3. Add printers by using their IP addresses in "control panel" appearing
when select Start -> Settings -> Printers & faxes -> "HP Universal Printing
PS" -> Properties

== Services ==

The following network services are provided:

|| Service || Address || Notes ||
|| SMTP || smtp.meeting.ietf.org || Will provide SMTP relay for anything
within the IETF network ||
|| NTP || ntp.meeting.ietf.org || A stratum 2 time service is provided via
IPv4 and IPv6 unicast ||
|| DNS || 130.129.5.6/2001:df8:0:5::6 and 130.129.5.7/2001:df8:0:5::7 ||
Validating recursive resolvers. The domain name is meeting.ietf.org. ||

These services are being provided from both of the following servers:
130.129.5.6 (IPv4) or 2001:df8:0:5::6/64 (IPv6)
130.129.5.7 (IPv4) or 2001:df8:0:5::7/64 (IPv6)

The following services are provided for the experimental network(s):
|| Service || Address || Notes ||
|| DNS64 || 2001:df8:0:7::1 || For ietf-nat64 ||

== Thanks ==
The terminal room and IETF network are made possible by the generous
contributions by a number of companies and by the tireless efforts of our
volunteer team. If you see any of these people in the halls, please be sure
to thank them for all their work!

Host:
 Cisco
Contributors: