[ietf83-tech] Wireless unstable/unusable

Chris Elliott chelliot at pobox.com
Sun Mar 25 07:00:29 PDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 3:13 PM, BREUGNOT Laurent <
lbreugnot at louvre-hotels.com> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> I'm a bit worried by your comment, we usually don't have a lot of
> complaints about the wireless, even if we know it's not optimal.

Unfortunately, we are not the usual crowd, and this is why we try to head
off issues before they happen. And, as we discussed Friday, we were
concerned that the wireless network would not hold up to this crowd. And
last night strongly indicated that the wireless is not usable much of the
time.

> We currently have around 180 non-ietf guests on the hotel wireless, we
> often reach 300 without problem.

Our IETF room block has at least 428 reservations (that was from 11 days
ago), plus an unknown number of attendees that reserved through other
methods. My guess is that there are in excess of 500 rooms reserved to IETF
attendees. And, as we know, our attendees are not typical users of the
Internet. We use more varied protocols,  our load is heaver, and we tend to
have more devices using the network wirelessly than the typical hotel guest.

> FYI there are some electrical issue on the top floors (28 to 33) since
> friday night, the APs and switches on these floors are currently down. The
> technical team of the hotel is aware of the issue and is trying to solve it.

Great. Thanks for letting us know.

However, the problems we saw were on different floors--most of the folks
we've been talking to have been on floors 3, 4, and 5. I'll try to identify
room numbers of folks having issues.

> I wont' be back before 5pm, we can talk then if you wish.

Please. I'd love to have a meeting with you and Jim Martin to discuss what
we can do from here.

> In the meantime, have you some more detailed information on the problem
> you've encountered ?

We are seeing high rates of packet loss (10-70%), and extremely variable
delays--pings varying from 4ms (good) to in excess of 1800ms.

We are seeing very low utilization on the link between your network and
our's--a peak of about 16Mbits/sec. and an average of about 4Mbits/sec from
us to you, and and peak of about 4Mbits/sec. and an average of about
2Mbits/sec. from you to us. As you saw when I plugged directly into your
switch, we were able to transfer in excess of 300Mbits/sec. over the link,
with just a few receive buffer errors. So, my impression is that the
wireless side is our bottleneck.

I'm going to try to do a bit of analysis of the wireless spectrum and do
some additional informal testing before we meet.

Thanks!
Chris.

--
Chris Elliott