[ietf83-tech] Hotel Wifi?

Chris Elliott chelliot at pobox.com
Fri Mar 23 15:06:02 PDT 2012

On Mar 23, 2012, at 10:48 PM, "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bz at zabbadoz.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Mar 2012, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 23 Mar 2012, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>>
>>> Is there anything you want me to try or can you reproduce?  It's a bit
>>
>> I'll not try that again.  Chelliot and Fenner are rebooting things
>> which seems to have hit Karen and I, so we shall hopefully be good
>> again in an hour.
>
> Ok, 8-10% packet loss pre-meeting to first hop; so I guess as it's
> almost as consistent as with the hotel SSID (which was slightly worse
> the other day), I almost fear we might want the wifi adjustments or
> the wired connections as well or in case there are tranparent middle
> boxes them out of the way.
>
> I tested both IPv4 and IPv6 link-local to the Juniper with remarkably
> similar results when run at the the same time.
>
> ..  While I had written this a while ago the packet loss seems to be
> not as bad anymore now as it's getting later but
> round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.852/24.096/216.910/33.408 ms
> is still pretty extreme.   I'll stop here and defer to the wifi
> experts.

We made recommendations on how to improve their wireless.

The APs are old 802.11b/g single band, and are configured at max power, "large" distance (whatever this does on HP/Colubris APs), and a broadcast/multicast rate of 1M. I'd change all of these, but that will require the cooperation of the wireless contractor. Even then it will only be somewhat better.

I think we will have to wait for Sunday night and see if things melt or not to spur action.

Chris.